The Testimony of Carmen Nieves


My name is Carmen Nieves López. I am Ecuadorian and 29 years old.  I grew up on a farm working in the fields.  Although my parents were Catholic, I came to know about Christ when I was 14 years old.  However, I was a rebellious teenager who wanted to dance and go out with my friends more than obey my parents.  I felt like my parents tried to control me too much.  To escape from home, I went to a Bible Study on Saturdays even though I didn't want to listen.  

All of that changed when I turned 15.  My mother had a tumor in her uterus and was very sick.  We all thought she would die.  I watched how women from the church would bring us the Word of God and would sing with her every Saturday.  On Good Friday 1997, I gave my life to God--for real this time.  I told God that I would give my life in exchange for my mother's if He would heal her.  During the next year, she had surgery to remove the tumor.  When she got out of the hospital, I dedicated myself to taking care of her completely, and I did for 2 years. Thanks be to God that she is healed and is with us still.

Since then I have dedicated my life to Christ completely.  At age 22, I started attending the Church of the Nazarene and started working with children in Sunday School.  The pastors opened the doors to the church and their home to me.  I met a missionary that helped me discover my call--to be a missionary especially to children.  As time passed, I felt a stronger need to prepare myself in this area, and the leaders started talking to me about the Nazarene Seminary.  So now I am at the Seminary studying and preparing myself to serve the Kingdom of God.


Comments

Popular Posts